Grade level: Appropriate for grades 4-12 with teacher modifications.
Duration: One class period.
1) Use Recollection Wisconsin to find a variety of genres that are topically or thematically related. To find examples of genre writing through Recollection Wisconsin:
- Explore our online exhibit “Wisconsin Memoirs.”
- In the Keyword Search box, try search terms such as poem, correspondence, diary, newsletter.
- Check out the following digital collections:
2) Then have students compare and contrast the means by which the texts convey their message. Ask students:
- Does the meaning change with different genres (i.e. photograph versus poem)?
- Is one genre more powerful or important than another?
- What genre is the most effective for communicating about certain topics or issues?