Grade level: Appropriate for grades 4-12 with teacher modifications.
Duration: One class period (may be combined with the Predict the Headline activity).
1) Use Recollection Wisconsin to find historical newspaper articles. To locate historical newspapers through Recollection Wisconsin:
- Head to the Browse Collections by Category page and choose “Newspaper clippings” from the Materials list to see all available collections containing newspapers.
- Check out the following digital collections:
2) Then have students read a historic newspaper article and select a “pull quote” from the text to help readers understand the big idea of the article.
3) Ask students: Is there a memorable quote or fact from the article that you want other readers to take away? How might you edit the quote to keep it short and easy to understand?