Madison-based writer and cartoonist Jay Rath uses historic photos he finds online to create The Washburn Expedition, a serial novel he’s presented on Facebook since 2009. This spring, we invited Jay to delve into Recollection Wisconsin’s collections and create a new adventure for Dr. Allenby, Rita Rennebohm, young Reggie and Billie the Cowboy. In this segment, the team regroups in Madison for graduation — until word of a new and mysterious foe arrives by telegram . . .
Read more about how Jay Rath creates the world’s first Facebook novel here. Click any of the images below to see the item’s source and original caption.
The images in this feature come from the following digital collections. Follow the links to browse and search the full collections. Click any of the images above to see the item’s source and original caption.
- Aldo Leopold Archives, Aldo Leopold Foundation
- Charles and Rufus King Collection, Carroll University Library Digital Collections
- History of UW-La Crosse, Murphy Library, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
- History of UW-Oshkosh, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- The Home Front – Manitowoc County in World War II. Part of the State of Wisconsin Collection from University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
- Janesville’s Past, Hedberg Public Library. Part of the State of Wisconsin Collection from UWDC.
- Milwaukee Historic Photos, Milwaukee Public Library
- Public Enemies: Tinseltown Comes to Oshkosh, Oshkosh Public Library
- Ripon College Archives
- UW-Madison Collection, UW-Madison Archives
- UWM Photo Collection, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries