All of us create Wisconsin through our contributions to this place and in knowing, remembering, and sharing our stories. Wisconsin’s story is still being written, folding in the customs and traditions of everyone who calls Wisconsin home. You’re invited to take part in that ongoing conversation and help build a shared history of our state.
Wisconsin at Work, Wisconsin at Play
This spring and summer, we’re looking for your stories of work and play in Wisconsin. Share your story on Recollection Wisconsin and you may be featured on Wisconsin Life, an audio series on Wisconsin Public Radio that explores what makes Wisconsin unique through the voices and stories of its residents. Wisconsin Life will feature one story of play and one story of work from submitted entries for airing statewide during Morning Edition in August and September.
We’re looking for stories and photos of your first job, what you make or do now, or what lessons your work life has taught you. Tell us about your summer vacations or your summers at camp. Just about any topic is welcome within the theme as long as it is a personal narrative with a strong connection to Wisconsin.
- Do you work in a family-owned business? How has the business changed from your parents’ or grandparents’ time?
- Does your job require a special language? Is there a “lingo” unique to your work?
- What about any special tools or equipment or clothing needed to do your job? Have you ever built or customized or “hacked” any tools to get the job done?
- Housework is work too, of course. Tell us about learning to keep house. Are there tips or tricks learned from previous generations that you still use today?
- Did you spend your summers at camp? Where? Tell us about your adventures (or misadventures).
- Did your family have any summer traditions when you were growing up? Or have you created any traditions now? What and why?
- Do you have a favorite summertime game or activity? Why do you look forward to it? How did you learn to play?
- Did your family have a cabin “Up North”?
- Do you have a favorite place to swim or boat?
How to participate
Use the form below to share your stories and photos. All approved stories and photos will be archived and publicly accessible through the Recollection Wisconsin website.
You may submit materials at any time, but the deadline to submit stories for consideration for airing on Wisconsin Life is June 15, 2013. One story of play and one story of work will be selected by Wisconsin Life staff based on originality, length, and literary merit. Winners will be notified by July 15. WPR reserves the right to read on the air and/or publish on its website or in any medium now known or unknown the emails and letters that we receive. Wisconsin Life staff may edit them for clarity or brevity and identify authors by name and location. The writer’s name and email address must appear with the entry.