In 2013 we made 210 posts to our Tumblr blog, Wisco Histo. Here are the ten posts that inspired the most comments, likes, and shares from our readers. These ten images are diverse, but they all come from the collections of Wisconsin libraries, archives, and historical societies, and they all depict the lives of everyday people in Wisconsin’s past.
What kinds of photos would you like to see on our blog in 2014?
10) Winter road conditions near Dodgeville, 1929
Tumblr likes and reblogs: 136
9) Trapeze artist above Ripon Square, 1909
Tumblr likes and reblogs: 146
8) Karen Washinawatok being crowned Miss Menominee
Tumblr likes and reblogs: 157
7) Pat Hitchcock of Mt. Horeb in World War II
Tumblr likes and reblogs: 212
Pat Jennings Hitchcock was a “clubmobile girl” for the American Red Cross during World War II, serving coffee and donuts from a converted bus to help provide a dose of morale and good spirits to American soldiers stationed in Europe. In March 2013, reposts from the excellent Tumblr blogs Cool Chicks from History and Greatest Generation helped boost this photo’s reach.
6) An unusual (and uncomfortable!) Halloween costume, Milwaukee, 1949
Tumblr likes and reblogs: 229
5) May Day celebrations at Lawrence University, Appleton
Tumblr likes and reblogs: 280
4) Junior Woman’s Relief Corps, Sextonville, Richland County, ca. 1890
Tumblr likes and reblogs: 333
The Woman’s Relief Corps, founded in 1883, is a national women’s auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic, the fraternal organization of Civil War Veterans. These young Woman’s Relief Corps members wear matching uniforms and pose with brooms and dustpans, suggesting they were part of a broom brigade. Popular in the late 19th century, broom brigades were military-style women’s drill teams that marched with brooms instead of rifles.
3) A massive snowman in Kiel, 1950-1959
Tumblr likes and reblogs: 382
2) Sigma Kappa women in fur coats, Madison, ca. 1922
Tumblr likes and reblogs: 505
Tumblr readers who commented on this photo ranged from fellow Sigma Kappas to fashionistas to anti-fur activists.
1) An idyllic fall scene in Wausau, 1980-200
Tumblr likes and reblogs: 1106
Our most popular Tumblr post in 2013 captured a picturesque Wisconsin autumn.
- Big Streets in a Little City: Kiel, Wisconsin, 1860-1980, Heritage Collection, Kiel Public Library. Part of the State of Wisconsin Collection from University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
- Herb Harris Postcard Collection, Iowa County Historical Society
- Historic Photo Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Lawrence University Archives
- Phillip and Faith Sealy Collection on the Menominee Arts, College of Menominee Nation S. Verna Fowler Academic Library/Menominee Public Library
- Railroads of Lincoln and Marathon Counties, Marathon County Historical Society by way of Central Wisconsin Digitization Project
- Richland County History Room, Brewer Public Library
- Ripon Historical Society
- UW-Madison Archives. Part of the University of Wisconsin Collection from UWDC
- World War II Veterans of Mount Horeb, Mt. Horeb Public Library. Part of the State of Wisconsin Collection from UWDC